The girls like oatmeal and will eat it, but it is never something that gets them asking for seconds. Until today. [insert applause] I actually made an oatmeal that they seemed to love!
After making coconut milk two days ago, I had a bowl full of pulp in the fridge. I already had steel cut oats made up, so the rest was easy. I didn't measure anything so forgive the vague measurements in my recipe below. This kind of thing is best made to taste anyways!
What are steel cut oats? These oats have gone through the least amount of processing (unlike the extensive processing of quick oats, for example). They are very high in fibre. They are a great source of protein and complex carbohydrates and low on the glycemic index, which will keep you feeling full for much longer.
In a large pan, I mixed and warmed up:
- 1 cup (approx) of cooked steel cut oats
- 3 tbsp (approx) coconut pulp
- 1/4 cup (approx) high fat plain yogurt (Greek would be ideal for the protein)
- 1 cup of frozen mixed fruit (strawberries, mangos, peaches)
- 1-2 tsp (approx) raw honey